Every roof has been designed and built to withstand all sorts of nasty weather, including rain, hail, snow, and harsh sun. The problem is that every roof, no matter how good, will eventually need some repair and maintenance. Whether it is broken roof tiles, busted lead flashing, or major holes, leaving a leaking roof can lead to some really expensive fixes.
Detecting a Damaged Roof
Over time, the extremes of weather take their toll on any roof, and this can lead to some serious damage. What begins as a small crack or hole can quickly become something much worse, and the signs of this should never be ignored by any home or business owner.
So, how can you tell whether or not you need to call out a company that specialises in repairing and replacing home roofs in Perth? Consider the following:
- Drops of rain: Lots of people enjoy the pitter patter of rain, but when you hear it on top of your ceiling, it’s probably time to take notice. This is one of the first signs that there is a leak in the roof somewhere. The rain works its way into cracks and holes and starts to drip onto the top of the ceiling. This may even happen in multiple locations and this is especially common in old homes.
- Black circles: All of that rain landing on top of your ceiling will start to pool underneath the insulation in time. This can lead to the formation of dark circles that can be seen on the ceiling inside the home. This is water damage and often looks like a dark stain or dark ripples. This is also an ideal growth environment for black mould, which can cause all sorts of other health problems if not dealt with!
- Visual signs: Don’t forget to look at your roof now and then. It is often not a bad idea to get up on the roof once in awhile just to do a quick visual check for any damage. Common signs of damage include broken or dislodged tiles, damaged lead flashing, and holes and cracks.
What Damage Can Be Caused?
It is certainly not uncommon for many older homes to have some roof damage. The problem is that these signs should never be ignored because any rain entering the roof can cause all sorts of other damage, including, but not limited to:
- Damage to insulation
- Damage to electrical wiring in the roof and in the walls that could cause a roof fire or short circuiting
- Damage to the wooden battens that hold up the roof
No homeowner wants to have to deal with these expensive issues, so it is always the best idea to call out expert roofers if you have a roofing problem.